In statistics, sampling is a very important requirement for doing necessary research on data population. Your proper selection of samples will determine the quality of your research. However, unless you learn the technique of sampling, you will fail to make a proper conclusion after your research.
In this post, we will attempt to understand this term called sampling frame and how can it help in various data research activities.
OvationMR is a well-known online market research company that is also involved in various kinds of market research activities and their research results are related to OvationMR on building samples using a sample frame.
What is the sampling frame?
When we use the term sampling frame then we mean that it will be a list of data from where you need to select your samples in a certain pre-determined method. Of course, there will be a certain structure too. What we mean is that it will be possible to identify the data in correlation to a certain contact number present in your data population.
In this way, it will be possible for you to classify and also code your information about the segmentation characteristics that must be already known to you.
What are the few good qualities of your sampling frame?
While drawing your sample, you must remember that you cannot choose any number of data on the list that you come across. You need to make sure that the amount of data that you collect must be sufficient enough to conduct your research activity.
According to Alaska University, the following are a few attributes of a good sample frame:
- You need to include all individuals present in the target population.
- You must exclude all those that are not present in the target population.
- You need to include correct information that you can use for contacting any selected individuals.
A few other general factors that you must consider to ensure that you have the following:
- For each member, there must be a unique identifier. This unique identifier could be in the form of a simple number. However, you need to ensure that no duplicates are present in the frame.
- You may also include a certain logic present in the list e.g. you may try to arrange them in alphabetical order.
- Also, you must regularly update your information and hence regularly check the correctness of the data, for example, the address may often get changed that needs to be regularly updated.
Often in certain cases, it becomes very difficult or impossible to get your proper sampling frame. Take an example, if you want to know the list of prostitutes present in your city, then most likely, you may not be able to find, as most of the prostitutes do not prefer to be found by someone.
Sometimes, a technique known as snowball sampling is also used for making up your sampling frame in case of inadequate data. Snowball sampling is used where first you must find certain number of people to participate in your survey and then ask him to refer to a similar person like him and so on till you get enough population of data.